A Brief History of St. Christopher Parish
Following the great commission of Jesus Christ to: “Go into
the whole world and tell the Good News”, generation upon generation
of Spirit-filled Christians have echoed His command. From a small
group of frightened disciples, hiding behind locked doors to a worldwide
Catholic community numbering in the billions, the faith that has
carried us through the centuries continues to flourish in our midst.
Here in the Somerton section of Philadelphia and areas of adjacent
Bucks and Montgomery counties, God saw fit to gather His people
into a spiritual community rooted in the love of Christ and neighbor
and bound by the Eucharist which we share.
Our parish was founded on November 3, 1950. Before that time, priests
from the Maternity B.V.M. Parish served the Catholics of this area
in a variety of locations. In 1914, area Catholics leased an upper
room in the sub-station of the twenty-seventh police district. There
were forty-three persons at the first Mass offered in the Bustleton
In 1916, a three-story house located at Byberry Road and Lewis Street
was purchased with funds from various generous benefactors, to become
Saint Edward Chapel. Sixty-seven persons were present for the dedication
of this chapel. By 1942, while the nation was struggling with the
dawn of the Second World War, the Catholic population in the Somerton
area was becoming larger and stronger. Under the direction of the
Rev. John Wright, pastor of Maternity B.V.M. Parish, reconstruction
on the tiny chapel Zealous parishioners worked from morning until
late at night, often interrupted by the war measures of “blackouts”.
There was, however, a light that would not be extinguished...the
flame of faith burning in the hearts of this growing faith community.
The Blessed Sacrament was permanently placed in the chapel at this
time and the practice of monthly Holy Hours was begun.
In 1950, Saint Christopher Parish was canonically established by
Cardinal Dennis Dougherty, who appointed the Rev. Christopher L.
Purcell as the founding pastor. Thanks to the generosity of the
Joseph Trainer family, their quiet, beautiful piece of farmland
on proctor Road would become “home to not only the parish
church, but subsequently to Saint Christopher School, convent and
Saint Christopher school was dedicated in September, 1053, and staffed
by the loving and dedicated Sisters of Mercy, with Sister May Esther,
founding principal and her staff of three sisters and one lay teacher.
Saint Christopher school opened its doors to welcome 319 students.
Following the construction of the school, the convent was built
and dedicated in 1954. In 1999, under the leadership of our present
pastor, Monsignor Joseph P. Garvin, the Parish Office was relocated
from the rectory to the convent building.
Once the new school and convent were erected, the parish gained
even greater momentum. Families increased to such an extent that
Saint Christopher parish spilled out in almost every direction,
even including parts of what are now Saint Anselm and Saint Martha
parishes. In 1956, the structure now identified as Trainer Hall
was dedicated as the parish church. At long last, a permanent resident
for the priests who ministered in the parish was built in 9158.
The present church was built in 1978, under the leadership of the
Reverend Joseph F. Smith. The original church was converted to a
hall, and re-named as Trainer Hall.
This Parish was dedicated under the patronage of Saint Christopher
because the name literally means: “Christ-bearer”, which
expresses the common vocation of all who call themselves Christian,
to carry Christ within themselves and bring Him to others.
The parish has flourished under the loving and dedicated leadership
of the priests of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia with assistance
from the Holy Ghost Fathers and the Franciscan Order of Minor. It
has been generously served by the Religious Sisters of Mercy, and
in recent history, in collaboration with the Sisters of Saint Francis
of Philadelphia, the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Family
of Nazareth and the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Chestnut Hill. Countless
lay men and women have selflessly given of themselves for the benefit
of this parish and for its continued growth during the past half
century. We are ever grateful. Truly, it is the faithful families
of Saint Christopher parish, in conjunction with its leaders, and
under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, who have sacrificed their
time, talents and treasure to take up the mission of being “Christ-bearers”.
It is evidenced by their involvement in the sacramental life of
the parish, in its many outreach programs and in its commitment
to education, faith formation and respect for life at every level.
We, the members of Saint Christopher Parish, stand together in Christian
love and proclaim from the bottom of our hearts: “For all
that has been...THANKS, and for all that will be...YES.”
Top of Page
St. Christopher Home Page
- 2017 © St. Christopher Parish and Somerton.Net Association